210 Pinebush Rd., at the corner of Pinebush & Franklin.

Raisin and Grape Toxicity in dogs

July 14th, 2020 Posted in Uncategorized

Reprinted from 2012, with updated overdose information and links at the bottom……

…….We had a patient in for treatment of raisin toxicity early this week. Yes, you read that correctly. Raisins and grapes can kill dogs!

It turns out that Halo, a gorgeous young black lab, had raided a raisin bag and had quite the feast. Luckily for Halo, after his owner found a huge pile of vomit chock-full of raisins, she had the smarts to take him for emergency treatment. She remembered reading somewhere that grapes are bad for dogs and knew that she had to act fast. It was Sunday and we were closed, so Halo got to visit the wonderful vets at the emerg clinic on Maple Grove Road. They knew exactly what to do.

At the clinic, Halo was given medication to make him vomit, in case there were any more raisins in his stomach. Poor Halo, I’m sure he didn’t enjoy that, but his life was at stake after all! Next, he was given some activated charcoal slurry to bind any toxins that were in his small intestines. Finally, he was put on intravenous fluids to flush out any other poison and to prevent kidney failure. Halo came to our hospital on Monday and Tuesday for continued i.v. fluid treatment.

I’m happy to report that Halo’s blood tests showed no permanent kidney damage. Thanks to his owner’s quick action, Halo’s prognosis is excellent and he should look forward to many more years of good health.

………………………………………………………………………………………………………….

Grapes
The lowest toxic dose is around 20g grapes per one kilogram of body weight. A typical grape weighs 2 – 5g, making a toxic dose is around 4 grapes per kg.
So if a 5kg terrier eats 20 grapes, or a 30kg Labrador eats 120 grapes, there’s a high chance of a serious problem, and veterinary intervention is definitely indicated.

Raisins
The lowest poisonous dose in confirmed cases has been around 3g/kg. An average raisin weighs around 0.5g, making a toxic dose approximately 6 raisins per kg.
So if a 5kg terrier eats 30 raisins, or a 30kg Labrador eats 120 raisins, they need to see the vet. Some studies have suggested that the toxic agent is neutralised by cooking, so cooked raisins (e.g. in pies and cakes) may not present such a high risk.

 

Raisin Toxicity calculator 

Article on Grape and Raisin Toxicity

Post a Comment